Not the most appetizing photograph, I know. But, I try — with my wee little toddler-smudged digital…. This dish was, totally, much better than it looks in the photo. And, hey? Vegans out there? Or, ye peeps who want to eat vegan meals or healthier whole-food meals that will nourish not just your body but your SOUL, more often? Check it.
I would say that the wheatberry is my favourite grain. It’s a “meaty” grain with lots of chew and lots of crunch. And, it’s got a rich and nutty flavour. It’s perfect mixed with a lemon, olive oil, and dill dressing, as in the following recipe. CHECK IT!
WHEATBERRIES WITH LEMON-DILL DRESSING
1/2 cup wheatberries
1 1/2 cup water
1 garlic clove (minced)
1/4 onion (chopped)
2 tsp olive oil (add 1 tsp flax oil for omega 3s)
Lemon juice (to taste)
Dried dill (to taste)
Handful pine nuts
1/2 cup cooked/canned chick peas (for protein) (optional)
Any combo of veggies (I recommend portobello mushrooms and spinach because they’re great for vegans and because they taste great with pine nuts; I used broccoli because I had some leftover steamed broccoli in the fridge.)
1. Cook wheatberries: Place wheatberries and water in a pot. Bring to a boil and let sit, at low heat, for an hour or so (until they look puffed up — maybe taste one just to be sure). Once ready, gently pour out the excess water.
2. Meanwhile, spray a pan with light (organic, if possible) cooking spray. Stir fry the garlic and onions until onions are soft. Then add mushrooms, spinach, etc..
3. When the wheatberries and veggies are done, mix them together.
4. Mix in the chickpeas.
5. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice.
6. Divide into bowls. Sprinkle with dill and pine nuts. Enjoy!
If this really doesn’t float your boat, just add 1/2 cup of your favourite tomato sauce. You’ll LOVE it!